I moved to Portola Valley for its natural beauty in 1984. What turned out to make the town special to me is its strong sense of community.
I raised my three children in Portola Valley and I love that they still tell stories about growing up in this unique environment: nighttime walks, visits from the neighborhood Santa, camping on the deck.
During the pandemic, my appreciation for this special place was reaffirmed if for no other reason than the access to trails and open space. I’m sure I’ve encountered many of you out on the trails and bucolic roads, enjoying the natural atmosphere that the town founders sought to protect.
I have served on town committees for more than 20 years and on our town’s Planning Commission for 4 1/2 years. My approach is pretty simple: I act as a neighbor and a representative of the public. I come prepared to listen. I read all the background material, review the staff presentations, and listen to public input and concerns and to the insights of fellow committee and commission members. I make decisions based on the information presented. I work towards inclusive decisions whenever possible. At the end of the day we are all neighbors and our decisions reflect on all of us.
My leadership experience in business makes me an effective town volunteer: I bring a focus on practicality and on making hard decisions in a calm and collegial manner.
I don’t come with preconceived notions and will listen to all sides. The issues we face are complex and we can solve them by working together. I’m not an ideologue or a politician at heart, but I believe profoundly in public service and serving the town.
Education: BS, MS, Computer Science, University of California, Irvine
Volunteer Track Record:
- Town commissions/committees:
- Planning Commission (current member, past chair)
- Emergency Preparedness (current member, past chair)
- Open Space Acquisition (current member, past chair)
- Trails Committee (past member, chair)
- Search and Rescue – Bay Area Mountain Rescue Unit (BAMRU)
- Current field member and former board member
- Woodside Fire Protection District Emergency Response, WPV-Ready, and WPV-CERT
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District — Volunteer trail patrol
- Woodside Highlands
- Improvement association (past board member), Road committee (past member)
Activities: Avid mountaineer, climber, skier, hiker, biker